Wednesday, April 29, 2009

hooked


WARNING: this post is not for the faint of heart.
This is not a hearts and flowers story.
It is pretty gnarly -- at least for our little lot.
Regard picture of hook below --
from an antique trunk in our living room.




A few days ago I heard Ava yelling -- "help! I'm stuck:"
I came running in to find her hanging upside down from this hook
(this nice rusty hook! thank goodness for tetanus shots)
-- which was hooked through some skin on her leg!!!!
(Sorry -- for the yucky lurch you just felt in your stomach)
So I lifted her off and realized it was time for stitches!

I couldn't get in touch with Nathan. He wouldn't be home for several hours. So I called my friend (and life-saver) Jackie -- who dropped what she was doing and helped us trek over to the hospital by taxi. At the hospital they only let one person in the room with the patient.
So I had to send Ava in with Jackie-- so she could explain what had happened and then I went in while they stitched the poor girl up! They were very nice -- but I definitely felt more anxious just because I could not communicate the way I wanted to!
What would I have done if Jackie wasn't there to hold Rock and entertain Elle, and speak Spanish for me... well, we all know it would have been more than ordeal. It would have been a disaster.

Ava was the picture of mental toughness. When it hurt
(and it hurt like the Dickens -- from what I could tell she could feel pretty much everything)
she would yell "I DO NOT LIKE THIS!!!"
and then when there was a break in the pain, she would plaster a fake smile
(see picture below) on her face
-- like "bravery = smile". What a girl.

She has decided 2 things after this experience she told me as she was falling asleep that night.
1. "I am never going to get on that trunk again. I am never going to touch that trunk again!"
and 2. "I don't want Elle to ever get stitches!"

In the end all is well ...
-- just don't tell Ava that those stitches have to be removed.

(This is Ava waiting in the Emergency Room.
Her little smile can't quite hide her worry.)

6 comments:

  1. holy crap! what a story. and what a brave little girl. i totally have the heebie jeebies right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yuck! Ava's such a cute little trooper. Poor little cutie. That's so cute that she decided that Elle shouldn't ever have to get stitches. Wow - so glad you had someone to help you. *shiver*

    ReplyDelete
  3. EEK! Thank heavens for your friend. What a brave little girl.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love her "trying to be brave" smile. She is too adorable. How crazy that must have been when you realized in what way she was stuck! How scary. That is so great you had a friend there to help you! I haven't had to sit with my child through stitches yet (I'm sure it's coming). That must have been so hard in a different country. You're such a trooper.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I definitely feel a little queasy thinking of sweet Ava hanging by that lock.

    I can't wait to have you back in Cali soon!!!!! So when's our phone date gonna be woman? Everytime I think to call you it's the middle of the night your time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw that little picture of her bravely smiling almost makes me cry. What a scary/gross story! Almost as bad as Nina's broken leg. Yuucckk! I hope this stuff never happens when I'm a mom...I don't think I have the stomach for it! Haha

    ReplyDelete