Wednesday, April 15, 2009

El Escorial

It was a cold blustery day -- see our marshmellow baby -- but we ventured out anyway, to El Escorial. 50 minutes by train, north of Madrid, nestled in the hills -- is this massive palace of Phillip II. It is said that it took 1500 workers 21 years to build it. It is not ornate, but it is large and impressive. For 5 centuries, the Kings and queens of Spain have been buried here.

It was hard to even take pictures of the palace. All the parts of the palace were giant in scale, massive doors, oversize gates and walls made of rough stones hewn into gigantic bricks. It felt like we were with Jack and we had come up the beanstalk to the ogres palace.
Click here to see a better view of the palace in it's entirety

Situated on top of a hill it has beautiful expansive views.


The King's gardens





Chocolate con churros at the end of the trip -- man, we are going to miss these.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

  1. you guys are having so much fun! and could you bring me some of those churros??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy I'm so glad you guys got to go to El Escorial! I lived right across the street from that huge monistary for two months last summer. Did my mom tell you about that trip? It was amazing. Looking at these pictures got me a little teary because I miss that place so much. I love Escorial...what a fun litle town huh? And what a huge/GORGEOUS monistary! I'll have to show you some much my pictures. I miss you and your adorable family. Rock is getting cuter and cuter in every picture. Give all your kids big loves and kisses from thier cousin Paigiee! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! Can we come next time? I was so excited to hear your message!!! Call me soon or tell me how to call you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, everything about your Spain adventures makes me want to go to Europe so bad! How awesome to see the art and the gardens and architecture! I bet it was super awesome for you since you have the appreciation for it. The food sounds delicious too. Your girls are getting quite the cultural experience! How did you guys find out about the mystery door? I need to make sure to catch up on blogs more often. I love to see how you're doing and all the fun adventures you go on. Oh, and I loved Rock's sculpture and how incredibly cute he's getting!

    ReplyDelete