Monday, November 24, 2008

Elle Turns 5!

After weeks of planning and anticipation... We finally celebrated Elle's 5th Birthday!! She has been making all sorts of plans, and I was worried that the day may not live up to her expectations... but she kept saying -- "This is my favorite day!" so, I think it turned out alright.

In the morning she woke up and got dressed in her white button up blouse and wool jumper -- and had asked us all to also come to her birthday in nice clothes ("You can wear one of your black things Mama" -- I don't fit into many clothes these days. ) -- and we were each handed a "ticket" (a small plastic heart) to come to her party.


She saw all the presents I had laid out and the banner I had hung up -- and oohed and aahed.
She had also made a little sign where she printed:
"Happy Birthday turning 5" which she taped to a big stick from a pine tree we found at the park. and set it by the front door "so that people could see there was someone having a birthday in here!" (sad I don't have a picture of this!)

Then we had pancakes and fruit shake for breakfast. Nathan sang all the birthday songs he could think of and told her the story of when she was born.

Opened presents.

Then the girls played with the presents -- Elle got a music box from mom, and a Paris Eiffel tower (which we got in Paris) from dad, a pony from Ava... and some other nice things from grandma and grandpa.

Went to violin class (which took most of the day -- it is a long trek -- and the trains run further apart on Saturday) -- where the group class played Happy Birthday on their violins and cellos -- and sang 'Feliz Cumpleanos' to the birthday girl.



When we got home it was time to make the cake, and then -- THE PINATA! The girls were so excited about this! (I know, don't laugh, Elle and Ava and I made it -- It's a dinosaur egg).












We played some other games to Elle's request: Bowling -- with a plastic bowling set we have, and dance party! But when I started dancing with my big belly swinging around in front of me, she called it off... I'm serious.

Time for Elle's dinner: Asparagus soup, salad and fresh bread from the bakery, with butter.







The girls made necklaces and bracelets with a new bead kit Grandma sent.


Then CAKE. Elle wanted M&M's and whipped cream... and chocolate cake. It was pretty delicious. And a very fun day.








What a girl! We love our Elle -- but she's growing up way way too fast. Here is a little review of her over the years!

Day 1

1 year old

2 years old


3 years old


4 years old


5 years old!!

5 comments:

  1. Oh how fun! Happy, happy birthday to that cute girl! Every time I see new pictures up on your blog it just makes me ache to see you guys. What a fabulous day she had. Love it . . . that cracks me up that she called off the dancing party. I don't know about you, but if I'd been in that situation I'd have been relieved. I don't know how anyone dances when they're large with child! Thanks for sharing. Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a fun day! happy happy birthday Elle! I can't believe she is already 5. You guys are in trouble cause you have two beautiful girls on your hands...can't wait to see what little brother looks like :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. happy birthday, elle!! it looks like you all had an amazing day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday! That reminds me of Emma. She talked about it all year, but she was satisfied with the day and several months later still talks about how fun her birthday was. Great job on throwing a great party there!

    ReplyDelete